Helichrysum Essential Oil
HELICHRYSUM Essential Oil
Botanical Name: Helichrysum stoechas
Plant Part: Flowers
Processing Method: Steam Distilled
Helichrysum essential oil is extracted from the helichrysum plant, a member of the sunflower family with the oil being steam distilled from its deep yellow flowers. Due to its rarity, helichrysum essential oil is one of the most expensive oils worldwide and considered the most useful essential oil in store because of its great array of health benefits. It is commonly used in aromatherapy. Helichrysum has long been used medicinally. It was the chosen remedy for chronic ailments of the skin and lymphatic system.
Qualities and Properties
- The oil has a sweet and fruity smell
- Helichrysum essential oil is expensive due to its rarity
- It has a strong woody aroma
- The oil is warm and luminous
- Blends well with Fennel, Lavender, Orange, Rosemary, and Tangerine.
Uses of Helichrysum Oil
Studies shows that simply smelling Helichrysum essential oil like other natural aromatic oil provides better sleep, better focus and helps improve mood. It provides aromatic effect on the mind particularly providing a feeling of security and safety. Use in a room diffuser and it will sooth the most fraught nerves and anyone with hyper tension can certainly benefit from this manner of treatment.
- Anti Spasmodic: It is used to treat headaches, migraines, asthma, bronchitis and irritable bowels
- Helichrysum oil aids in the treatment of dermatitis, eczema and psoriasis
- Anti Coagulant: It helps reduce the risk of heart attack due to thickening of blood due to high cholesterol content in it
- Anti Inflammatory: This oil also gives relief from inflammations due to other causes and soothes body. Very effective in treating cuts, burns, infections and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Expectorant: It warms the respiratory system, loosens deposition of phlegm in it and does not let new phlegm deposit giving relief from continuous cough and Febrifuge:
- Anti Allergenic: Helichrysum oil can be used for the prevention of all kinds of allergies
- Relaxant and Anti-Depressant: This essential oil controls negative emotions and stimulates positive thoughts and actions.
- direct inhalation, diffuser, oil vaporizer
- massage, compress, bath, ointment, skincare
- For burns, apply undiluted as soon as possible for immediate relief – only 1-3 drops are necessary.
- Helichrysum is the only essential oil found to contain certain di-ketones, which may support wound healing and scar reduction. It is suitable for wound healing and for scars. It may be especially effective when combined with Rosehip Seed oil. The triple unsaturated fatty acids may strengthen the cell membranes and, combined with the regenerative qualities of Everlasting, can heal wounds with little or no scarring. Do not apply to open wounds.
- This essential oil contains anti-inflammatory sesquiterpene hydrocarbons – this compound acts by dissipating free radicals. Helichrysum essential oil's other major components include neryl acetate, a monoterpenoid ester with distinct, relaxing effects that may reduce tension of the tissues in the area of the injury.
- For impact injuries, apply undiluted immediately to reduce initial swelling and reduce healing time; use enough to cover the area in a thin layer (this is often only a few drops). The same goes for 'twists' (an ankle, for example). Repeat application again in 30 minutes if you deem necessary.
- For older injuries (more than a few hours) it has been suggested to use diluted in any carrier oil. We use this for sports injuries and pain like backaches, stiff joints and the like. For neck pain, we sometimes use at full strength. For many users, relief is reported as nearly immediate (though this depends on how deep within the body the damaged tissues are and how old the injury might be). For further support for inflamed areas, 1% German Chamomile can be included.
- The oil is also thought to be a strong chelator, supporting liver function and potentially drawing heavy metals and toxins out of the body. It is noted as one of, if not THE, most effective detoxification supporting essential oils by Battaglia in 'The Complete Guide to Aromatherapy'. A strong dilution can be used (1:1 in coconut oil, for example) and massaged twice per day into the feet. The reflex points of the feet corresponding to the liver may be of greatest help in this process.
**These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
IMPORTANT: All Essentially You Oils products are for external use only unless otherwise indicated. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease, and it should not be used by anyone who is pregnant or under the care of a medical practitioner. See Disclaimer.