Spearmint Essential Oil
SPEARMINT Essential Oil
Botanical Name: Mentha spicata
Plant Part: Leaves and Stems
Processing Method: Steam Distilled
Description / Color / Consistency: A thin, clear, colourless to pale yellow liquid
Aromatic Summary / Note / Strength of Aroma: A top note with a medium aroma, it has a characteristic scent that is sweeter than the minty aroma of peppermint.
About the Oil: Spearmint Essential Oil is the gentler, sweeter and less potent version of Peppermint oil. This makes it more suitable for use with children and others who may find peppermint too strong or too stimulating.
Spearmint oil is extracted from the flowering tops and leaves of the plant using the method of steam distillation. It has antispasmodic, antiseptic, antibacterial, anti-fungal, carminative, digestive, insecticide, anti-inflammatory, insecticide and stimulant properties. This oil has a wide range of uses from medicinal purposes down to culinary uses.
ABOUT THE OIL
Spearmint oil is sweeter than peppermint–peppermint will have an immediate strong aroma of menthol, whereas spearmint will have a sweet quality at the same time.
- direct inhalation, diffuser, oil vaporizer
- Spearmint oil is cleansing and uplifting, and the aroma will help sharpen the senses. For bringing alertness, a drop or more can be inhaled directly from a handkerchief, or the oil can be used in a diffuser.
- massage, compress, bath, ointment, skincare
- Refreshing for overworked body and feet.
- Great in a cool compress for nausea, headaches and travel sickness.
- Dilute in a carrier oil and massage into the abdomen (essential oils are absorbed though the skin, and can help targeted digestive organs in this manner).
- May help relieve congestion and headaches (including migraines) by placing a drop on each temple. The skin is rather sensitive there, and the eyes are close by; a 10% dilution of essential oil is safe and effective balance to use.
- For digestive complaints one can take 1 to 3 drops in a warm cup of water, or dilute in a carrier oil.
- Place a couple drops on the tongue to improve alertness.
- This Spearmint oil has sweet, heady floral and fresh mint top notes, complex herbaceous middle notes over a musty, deeply honeyed, balsamic and molasses-like undertone.
- It blends well with an array of essential oils, most notably: Lavender, Jasmine, Eucalyptus, Basil, Rosemary and Peppermint.
- Non-toxic, non-irritant but occasionally sensitizing. Always test a small amount first for sensitivity or allergic reaction. Never apply undiluted to the skin. Direct and indirect contact with the eyes will cause irritation.
- Spearmint oil is considered non-toxic, a non-irritant and non-sensitizing. The more gentle relative of Peppermint, it is suitable for use with children and others who may find the menthol content of Peppermint too strong.
- If pregnant or under a doctor's care, consult a physician. Spearmint is not recommended to be used on infants and children under 2 years old.
**These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
IMPORTANT: All Essentially You Oils products are for external use only unless otherwise indicated. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease, and it should not be used by anyone who is pregnant or under the care of a medical practitioner. See Disclaimer.
We Also Recommend
"With god all things are possible" Essential Oil Diffuser Necklace
Angel Wings Essential Oil Diffuser Necklace