Sandalwood Essential Oil
SANDALWOOD Essential Oil, East India
Botanical Name: Santalum Album
Plant Part: Wood
Processing Method: Steam Distilled
About the Oil: This Indian Sandalwood has the most 'woody' notes, along with the heavenly sweet tone of all high quality Sandalwood essential oils. The divinely sweet aroma with its softly balsamic base note evokes the Earth element at its most sensual yet deeply tranquil.
ABOUT THE PLANT
Santalum album is a short, tropical tree native to the Indian subcontinent. Wildly cultivated and long lived, Sandalwood's harvest is viable after 40 years. Sandalwood is harvested by pulling out whole trees and their roots and only trunks and branches above 2.5 cm in diameter are used.
ABOUT THE OIL
This sandalwood has been tested for its high santalol level. Much of the research surrounding the sandalwood's therapeutic properties examine the effects specifically of this molecular group. At the same time, there are a host of other 'sesquiterpine alcohols' which are certain to have therapeutic benefits, but have not been studied individually.
NOTE: It is common to find oils distilled from the wood of Santalum lanceolatum and Eremophila mitchelli fraudulently sold in the marketplace as "Sandalwood" essential oil. However, neither the aromatic compounds nor the therapeutic attributes are similar enough to true Sandalwood to act as a substitute.
- Sandalwood oil is cooling and primarily indicated for conditions of a hot nature.
- Long considered the oil of choice for meditation, Sandalwood is reputed to quiet mental chatter. Sandalwood has a great effect on spiritual development related to the crown chakra, and it also links the base and crown chakras. Its aroma is relaxing, uplifting, soothing, and may improve mood.
- Sandalwood essential oil is high in sesquiterpenes, a class of compounds which have been studied in Europe for its effects of stimulating the pineal gland. The pineal gland is responsible for regulating sleep, so using Sandalwood oil may induce and improve sleep cycles as well as enhance dream activity and dream recall capacity. The pineal gland is also responsible for the limbic region (emotional center) of the brain. This makes Sandalwood great for helping to balance the emotions, specifically when emotional states are hot and agitated or when reacting to others with aggression or irritation. It also makes it a good oil for dealing with fear, stress, and a hectic daily tempo.
- Its aphrodisiac effect may be due to its psychological effects (the lessening of the mental aspects of sexual dysfunction or anxiety about intimacy) as well as its effects on the circulatory system (increased veinous circulation). Sandalwood may also be helpful in cases where depression has lead to sexual difficulties and aids in making human contact and overcoming isolation.
- Direct inhalation, diffuser, oil vaporizer, steam inhalation
- Inhale to experience the psychological and subtle energy effects of sandalwood. Its anxiety reducing effect also supports the immune system; immune cells have receptor sites for neurochemicals (which implies that a healthy NERVOUS SYSTEM–one free from stress–can lead to a healthy immune system).
- massage, compress, bath, sitz bath, douche, ointment, skincare
- Constituents alphasantalol and betasantalol have been shown to have a sedative effect. For more pronounced anxiety reducing and sleep enhancing effects simply place a drop on the wrists and massage until it is absorbed. The essential oil will naturally be absorbed into the bloodstream.
- Sandalwood can be added as a moisturizing ingredient to dry or aging skin care formulas or simply diluted in a carrier oil such as avocado or rosehip (at 15% concentration). Alternatively, it can be added to oily and blemish control formulas or diluted in a carrier oil such as jojoba or hazelnut (at 15% concentration).
- This Santalum album oil has a quite soft aroma. It has a mildly sweet top note, a soft, herbaceous middle note and musty, woody undertones. It remains a masculine scent, yet this species and distillation leans into a rounder and slightly floral composition, yet less than the Wild Australian and Royal Hawaiian sandalwoods.
- Sandalwood is used extensively in perfumery as a base note and fixative. It makes a wonderful natural perfume as a single oil, blends well with almost every other oil, and acts to harmonize blends that need softening without overpowering them.
- Sandalwood Essential Oil blends well with: Eucalyptus Radiata, Basil, Peppermint and Pine
- sweet, woody
- Generally non-toxic, non-irritant and non-sensitizing. Always test a small amount first for sensitivity or allergic reaction.
**These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
IMPORTANT: All Essentially You Oils products are for external use only unless otherwise indicated. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease, and it should not be used by anyone who is pregnant or under the care of a medical practitioner. See Disclaimer.