Valerian Root Essential Oil
VALERIAN ROOT Essential Oil
Botanical Name: Valeriana wallichi
Plant Part: Root
Processing Method: Steam Distillation
NOTE: This product is for final sale (non-refundable) and will be discontinued once out of stock.
Description / Color / Consistency: A viscous olive or reddish to brown liquid.
Aromatic Summary / Note / Strength of Aroma: A base note with a medium aroma, Valerian Root Essential Oil has a deep, earthy, slightly woody scent.
Product Abstract: A single flowering stem rises of up to four feet rises from the root. Its leaves are lancet-shaped, and it has small fleshy pink flowers with a peculiar scent. Valerian is native to Europe, North America, and the northern part of Asia. Altogether, the genus contains about 150 different species that are widely distributed throughout temperate zones. Both the root and the rhizome are highly prized. The major chemical constituents of Valerian have only fairly recently been identified as a sesquiterpene grouping of bicyclo[8, 1, 0] 5β-hydroxyl-7β-acetoxyl-5α,11, 11′-trimethyl-E-1(10)-ene-4α, 15-olide [Briq, 2006]. Valerian Root is believed to be a suitable replacement for catnip based on similar chemical components.
- reduces dandruff
- neutralizes microbes
- heals minor sores and closed wounds
- Good for eczema.
- relaxes muscles
- relaxes cramping
- settles digestion
- increases absorption in the intestines
- promotes normal peristalsis
- assists the body's natural eliminatory response
- increases appetite
- relaxes cramping
- decreases blood circulation
- promotes urination
- helps maintain kidney action
- depresses the Central nervous system
- promotes sleep
- calms the nervous system
- relieves stress
- reduces incidence of migraine and tension headaches
- Valerian Root is emotionally balancing and grounding.
- Valerian Root is so linked to the glandular/endocrine experience of taste that the mere thought of it will make people dream. Sensitive individuals should however avoid it in the evening, as it has slightly stimulating properties.
- direct inhalation, diffuser, oil vaporizer
- Inhale to receive the nervous system benefits.
- Researchers have pinpointed the sesquiterpenes 'valerenic acid' and 'valerone' as the active constituents that exert a calming and restorative effect on the central nervous system.
- massage, compress, bath, skincare
- Topically, Valerian has been used for skin complaints such as ulcers, eczema, minor sores and closed wounds.
- Apply a small amount on the feet or temples for rest and improved sleep. Be prepared, it has a potent aroma!
- Valerian Root Essential Oil is a base note with a very rich, tenacious, musky, woody, balsamic aroma.
- Valerian essential oil bends well with essential oils of Cedarwood, Lavender, Mandarin, Patchouli, Petitgrain, Pine, Rosemary and Tangerine
- Non-toxic, non-irritant, possible skin sensitization. Always test a small amount first for sensitivity or allergic reaction.
- Do NOT use during pregnancy.
- Do NOT use in combination with pharmaceutical sedatives, antidepressants, or alcohol.
**These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
IMPORTANT: All Essentially You Oils products are for external use only unless otherwise indicated. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease, and it should not be used by anyone who is pregnant or under the care of a medical practitioner. See Disclaimer.