Vetiver Essential Oil
VETIVER Essential Oil
Botanical Name: Vetiveria Zizanoides
Plant Part: Root
Processing Method: Steam distilled
ABOUT THE OIL
This essential oil is steam distilled from the roots of the plant is a thick amber liquid with a scent that, like Patchouli and Sandalwood, improves with age. Vetiver has an earthy aroma, some say similar to that of Patchouli with a touch of Lemon.
Although it may be known as the world's most commonly used perfume fixative—meaning it is an effective base note that holds lighter top notes to the skin—Vetiver is an extremely healing oil to the body and the mind. Because its chemical properties are a function of the soil it is grown in, each batch of vetiver oil will have fragrance and therapeutic variations that are unique and subtle. One of the most biochemically complex of all essential oils, vetiver contains at least 150 identified aromatic compounds, and many more that remain unidentified. It's main constituent in is vetiverol (50-75%), a sesquiterpene alcohol.
Vetiver oil has an earthy musky smell and it has a grounding, calming and balancing effect on the body. This oil is one of the oils that is safe to use both externally and internally to protect wounds and organs from sepsis. Good quality Vetiver oil is dark brown in color and can be combined with other oils.
- In terms of Oriental medicine, Vetiver essential oil is cool and moist in energy. It clears heat, and nourishes and supports yin Qi, which is the body's restorative and metabolic function.
- Vetiver oil is one of the most effective oils to use when excess wind, or the Vata dosha, are present. Being of the earth, this oil has calming, cooling, grounding and centering properties that work equally on the body and the mind. Due to its cool and watery nature derived from the moistened soil in which it grows, it is also excellent in working against excess heat, or Pitta dosha, in the body and mind.
- From a vitalistic viewpoint, the roots of any plant are innately nourishing, strengthening and grounding.
- Vetiver essential oil is soothing and comforting for body and mind. It grounds and stabilizes the emotions (promotes emotional equilibrium), purifies the mind, and enhances concentration. Most noticeably, it is relaxing to a hyperactive mind and nurturing to an insecure selfidentity as it lends us the strength of Mother Earth and her deep sense of belonging. Vetiver may just be the thing for an individual who constantly strives for perfection–not letting things just be. It also has a strong power of attraction and enhances sensual and romantic moods.
- Vetiver oil is beneficial for anyone who needs contact with the earth to ground and center their energies, and is thusly a primary oil for the root chakra. Recommended for physical, mental and emotional exhaustion, Vetiver is invaluable for anyone experiencing stress and especially shock due to accident, loss of employment, bereavement, separation, divorce, etc.
- direct inhalation, diffuser, oil vaporizer
- Diffuse Vetiver essential oil to promote a calm and grounded environment. Good for meditation.
- Vetiver Oil has been noted to have an effect on lowering rapid heart rate and breathing, helping return the cardioRESPIRATORY SYSTEM to a calmer state. In fact, one deep breath of direct inhalation has the ability to 'reset' the parasympathetic NERVOUS SYSTEM.
- massage, compress, liniment, bath, ointment, skincare
- Vetiver oil is known to boost your IMMUNE SYSTEM as you wear it.
- It is also valued as a component in cosmetic preparations for its natural affinity for the skin and its ability to enhance skin health and radiance.
- May be applied to the solar plexus to calm over sensitivity.
- A great oil of choice for those suffering withdrawal from drugs, alcohol, nicotine etc.; Vetiver helps quill jitters and provides peace in mind and body.
- Do not ingest.
- This Vetiver has herbaceous middle notes woven with deep, smoky, leathery and rich earth undertones. As with Patchouli and Sandalwood, Vetiver becomes more complex and smooth with age.
- Vetiver essential oil blends well with: Clary Sage, Jasmine, Lavender, Patchouli, Rose, Sandalwood, and Ylang Ylang.
- Generally non-toxic, non-irritant and non-sensitizing. Always test a small amount first for sensitivity or allergic reaction.
- If pregnant or breast-feeding consult with a physician prior to use.
**These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
IMPORTANT: All Essentially You Oils products are for external use only unless otherwise indicated. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease, and it should not be used by anyone who is pregnant or under the care of a medical practitioner. See Disclaimer.